Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"All significant truths are private truths" - T.S. Eliot

Sometimes people think that I am shy.  And sometimes people think the fact I do not say much means I do not think much.  And I have been told several times that I give a first impression of being haughty.  I am none of these things, not timid or vacant or stuck up, but I think this is how introverts are often misunderstood.  Shawn says people form this last impression based on attractiveness, but he is supposed to think that for my sake, and I am not nearly as attractive as he thinks I am.

Introverts are allegedly only about 25% of the population.  Imagine how short staff meetings would be if there were more of us.  Sometimes I am so frustrated by the way people have to give voice to every single thought that crosses their minds.  I cannot relate to this way of being, cannot imagine what it would be like to say everything I was thinking.  Perhaps this is why I like writing, because it allows me to say more.  Shawn says saying less leaves people wanting more, but he is supposed to think that for my sake, and I am not nearly as interesting as he thinks I am.

Extroversion and introversion exist on a continuum, and I find myself moving more and more in the direction of introversion as I get older.  This is why I need to change careers.  This is why I have less friends, less invitations, and less concern about these things than I have ever had in my life.  If I keep moving at this rate I will be a hermit before I hit forty.  Being around people makes me tired, really really tired.  I get so tired of small talk, so tired of gossip, so sick and tired of meaningless noise.  Shawn says I'm funny when I'm tired.  I'm not.


*












6 comments:

glnroz said...

but.."you are",,,

heartinsanfrancisco said...

I think I put this comment on the wrong post.

I think I understand. I have definite hermit inclinations which grow stronger with the years. I have no idea what people think of me and while I can't honestly say I don't care, it is beyond my control so I don't think about it too much.

mischief said...

Thanks Big Paw. I'm really not, but it's nice to have people think so anyway. Susan, I know what you mean; I can live with being thought stupid or shy, but it bothers me if people think I'm looking down on them.

Jerry said...

I always think people say too much. Words uttered just for uttering sake. But then, they seem to be the ones that are surrounded by others. Maybe people ache for chatter, I don't.

I suspect you are more interesting than you think you are.

mischief said...

I think I ache for quiet just as much as those people ache for chatter. Though I don't want what they want, I can understand it, respect it, and give it space to happen. It's not reciprocal.

secret agent woman said...

And not only is it on a continuum, but it is not necessarily aligned with how people re-charge. I'm a bit of an extrovert (not strongly) who needs serious alone time to re-group).