Friday, March 18, 2011

Today was the last day; now it is Spring break.  I celebrated by backing my vehicle into the garage door.  I do not really know how this happened apart from wanting to blame Emory.  I didn't open the garage door as soon as I normally would have because Emory was there and I did not want him to be tempted to dart out of the garage and go eat worms off the driveway, one of his favourite activities after a hard rain.  So the garage door was partly up when I started to back out, but apparently not all the way, because I clipped it and forced the door off its track.  This made it impossible for the door to go either up or down.  I wanted to blame Emory, but as he was quaking with fear at the sound of the crunch I decided to comfort him and called myself names instead.

I phoned Shawn to tell him I wasn't coming to pick him up since I couldn't get out of the garage.  Sometimes I cannot string together three or four reasons for him to be able to tolerate me.  He phoned his father who picked him up and drove him home.  While I waited for Shawn I stood on the driveway surveying the damage, which was minimal, until I noticed that the keypad that allows us to open and close the garage door without the remote opener was flashing.  I felt stupidly compelled to try and stop the flashing and pushed a button on the keypad -- which was an enormous mistake.  The door began to open automatically, but because it was no longer properly on its track, the door went up only partway and then fell on top of the vehicle.  Sigh.  This was how the dust had settled by the time Shawn got home.

His Dad helped get the door off the vehicle and recommended someone who knows something about how to fix garage doors.  Now the garage door is lying on the ground in the garage and the vehicle is parked on the driveway.  Some guy is coming out to look at it tomorrow.  And Shawn is still speaking to me for reasons I cannot fathom.  He did call me a Force of Nature but I think I kind of liked that.  I am going to go drink wine now.  I'm glad it's Spring break.






*

6 comments:

J.B. Chicoine said...

Oh, my, goodness! You really are a force of nature.
...and I hate to own up to this, but I would have pushed the red button also! I hope your car is alright...
...and have a nice Spring Break (no pun intended there, eh?)

Jerry said...

Well bless you -- you owned up to it -- to Shawn, his father, and on your blog. I think it is that 'Force of Nature' thing -- you're kind of proud of it.

mischief said...

Flashing buttons absolutely have to be pushed. I still see no way around that. The vehicle has a minor dent near the top which was actually what annoyed Shawn more than the other excitement. Jerry, owning up was not my first thought, I promise! I had one of those childish moments where I thought about different plausible lies, but couldn't really come up with anything that explained it adequately. The truth was a last resort. Proud... hmm... that's interesting. And entirely possible.

Brown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brown said...

Omg, I would have said that the machine spewed forth sparks and flashed like it was possessed until the door said he couldn't take his life anymore and leaped to his death.

One time, I went to get gas. After driving up to the pump, and getting out, I realized that I had overshot my landing and was too far passed the pump for the hose to reach the gas tank on the driver side. I got back in the car, and backed up, until I heard an unmistakable metallic crunching sound. Apparently, I had decided to back the car up, with the door still open. I can admit to being privy to how much the nozzle on a gas pump costs...

I must be honest though. Every time I look at that picture I laugh uncontrollably.

mischief said...

Hah, I love it. I have *almost* done that exact same thing at the gas pumps too. Narrow miss.