Tuesday, August 03, 2010

in which I meander aimlessly

My mother has pointed out that all my "values" (she said the quotes) are rooted in not doing things. Like not watering the lawn even though it's very dry and brown because I do not want to waste water. Or not bagging the grass when I mow and instead letting it cycle back into the earth. She has something here and the point is that it is easier not to do things and my "values" may be all about choosing the path of least resistance rather than about doing the right thing.

There is a new bylaw in my city about using weed killers like Roundup and those ones that cause living things to shrivel on contact. We can't buy these things anymore. Of course I didn't notice this because that's not how I do weeds. I just pull them, or better yet whack them with big powerful gas powered gardening tools that pollute the air with noise and the environment with carbon.

But there is a zombie weed on my driveway that grows in the crack between the two largest paving stones. I have killed it dozens of times and it keeps coming back, its zombie arms reaching for my throat as it emerges. It scares me. I pulled it, I poured vinegar on it, I poured salt on it. It keeps coming back. I asked the internet what to do and it told me to pour boiling water on it. But I keep picturing all the earthworms who live underneath the paving stones... and imagining them boiling to death makes me writhe. I can't do that. So I'm going back to doing nothing.


*

6 comments:

ac said...

Mmm Salt 'n Vinegar Weeds and Worms. Sounds delicious! What are making for desert?

<3
(ehC)

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Because I recognize your specialness, I researched "how to kill a zombie" for you. (It didn't say anything about weeds, but sometimes we just have to take what we can get.)

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/Content?oid=32136&category=23483

I am with you on boiling worms to death. It's definitely a no-no. Mothers, maybe, but earthworms? Never.

mischief said...

Sand, ace, for desert, and saguaros with boiled worms. FIt for a king.

Susan, I do appreciate this new bit of information which I believe will be most helpful in putting an end to my zombie infestation. You understand things so well. xx

ac said...

Ok smartass, you can't let one go? Out-spell me but you can't out-dance me. *swat*

(ehC)

secret agent woman said...

Salt and vinegar? Like it's French fries? I don't think the boiling water is going to hurt worms who are below the ground but I'm also skeptical about it killing the weed's roots. I'm in the puling it out camp.

mischief said...

secret agent: Really? But why wouldn't the boiling water seep down through the dirt and boil the worms? The salt and vinegar thing is ridiculous, absolutely. This weed comes back when I pull it out... I think I can't get the roots because they're too long and trapped under the paving stones where I can't get at them.

ace: Wrong again. I can so.