Tuesday, July 14, 2015

trade-in

My boyfriend broke up with me on Monday.  He says that my treatment is over and there is no longer anything he can do for me through physiotherapy.  Now it's just up to me to go home and get better.  It's like recovering from an injury, he says.  I just need time and to stay active so that the things that are supposed to compensate will learn how to do it faster.  Okay, it's not the most painful breakup I have experienced.  This one leaves me with hope that I will be alright on my own.

Strangely enough, following the break up, I have been feeling significantly better.  Perhaps I had allowed myself to grow too dependant on the physiotherapy.  Or perhaps knowing that he thinks I'm fine has a placebo effect on me.  Whatever it is, I like it.


*

Most mornings I go for a walk/run at a park near my house.  Yesterday BB asked if she could come with me today.  This was surprising because BB is not the walk-in-the-park sort of woman.  She is more the come-over-for-pizza kind of woman.  (I happen to love this about her; it is not a criticism.  Just an observation.)  But far be it for me to discourage a friend who wants to get more active.  So I told her where to meet me, and off we went.  To my surprise, BB was a fine walker.  She kept pace with enough breath left to talk, so in the end she turned out to be a pretty good companion.  I am not a person who generally enjoys exercising with someone, but since BB has decided she wants to exercise with me, I have realised it isn't so bad having someone to talk to rather than focusing on my knees.



*

2 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

A new walking companion - that's cool!

mischief said...

So far I like it more than I thought I would.