Friday, October 11, 2013

bark bark

The first vice president of my union phoned me at work today.  She wanted to talk about my negative perception of the union and my public comments about such.  It was interesting.  I decided to listen to her, and to share my opinions with her, and we ended up talking for almost an hour.  She didn't hang up convinced of anything new, I'm sure, and neither did I, but for the first time since I moved here I felt that someone at the union was actually interested in and listening to member opinions.  It was definitely the first time that anyone at the union asked me what I thought instead of telling me.  This school year has already been filled with opportunities for me to act like a grown up and I am trying to take them as often as possible.  Dixie promised me a second puberty at age forty that would mark the end of my fear of confrontation.  I'm a little ahead of schedule.  Precocious if you will.


*


2 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

Well, that's a positive step anyway.

Who is Dixie?

mischief said...

Yes, a surprising change of pace. My union is not known for paying any attention to what its members want. Dixie is a friend who is a little older than I am, and she always told me around age forty was when women could expect to reach an emotional place where people-pleasing and fear of confrontation was no longer an issue.