Sunday, January 20, 2013

I am reading Oh Dear Silvia, and I am not especially impressed.  I think this is the first book I have read by Dawn French, although I feel as though I know her name from somewhere.  I probably don't.  The characters are such caricatures that I am feeling bored and as though I can predict everything they each will say and do.  They try too hard to be zany and hilarious, or bighearted and kind, or dry and dull.  (Especially successful in the latter department, unfortunately.)  I find it hard to stay interested and I'm sort of pleased that it's nearly over, although I suspect she's going to kick the bucket soon.  Poor thing, I would too.

*

5 comments:

Nic said...

As in our Dawn French? She is a bit of a national institution here, though she is past her best. I've not read anything by her. Personally, for gentle English humour, I like Bill Bryson. And Tony Hawk's Round Ireland with a Fridge makes me smile. Notes to my Mother-In-Law is also typically gentle and sweet, though made me cry in the end. Have you read any PG Wodehouse? I love him. Love him. Oh, have you read any Ian McEwan? Two books I think you would really like are Enduring Love and The Child in Time. His style changed after that and he became more political. I think that's a shame because I adored those two books.

mischief said...

Yup, I heard a lot of wonderful things about Dawn French before I decided to get this book. Oh well. I haven't read Wodehouse's novels but am familiar with his plays. I am keeping a list of your recommendations so I know what I want to read next. Bryson, Hawk, Wodehouse, McEwan.

Nic said...

Enduring Love first. ?The other authors are all light-hearted, really. I can only take light-hearted in small doses. ;) I am wondering if you would like anything and everything by Mr. McEwan, actually. I have no idea why I did not recommend sooner. I am going to read it again.

Nic said...

PS. I have never thought much of Dawn French, to be honest. Somebody who we are meant to like, more than anything.

mischief said...

McEwan is now at the top of my list! x