Friday, December 16, 2011

I've got nothing to do today but smile.

There's an autistic boy in my Drama 9 class this semester.  The autistic spectrum disorders interest me, in particular, because they create such quirkiness, a quirkiness that I often find delightful rather than alienating.  B is a savant, or what was once called "idiot savant", the type of autism that comes with gifts.  He has a math gift and a brain calendar such that you can tell him the date of your birth, for example, and he can tell you what day of the week on which you were born.  He can do this trick with dates in the infinite future too.  But he has disabilities as well, mainly the lack of social connection with his peers.  They find him amusing, interesting, likeable even.  But not relatable.  He's so very different.

He chooses to sit right beside me at the start of every class when they gather in a circle for instructions.  Maybe he likes me.  Maybe it's safer near the teacher.  I'm not sure.  But he sits there every day, always on my right side, and as he pulls his chair up close to me he always says, "Hello Ms. P.  Don't touch me, don't touch me, don't touch me, don't touch me."  Always four times.  I've never touched him.

I asked him the other day why he always tells me not to touch him.  He told me that touches feel like electric shocks on his skin.  I keep thinking about that, how that kind of overstimulation he described is probably what other less verbal autistic children experience when they are overwhelmed by light, or noise, or other stimuli in their environments.  Like being shocked with every touch.

Last year another autistic boy came to me for counselling.  He told me he had a recurring headache.  I asked him what the headache felt like.  He said it felt like disappointment.

Does it seem odd, I wonder, that I find these verbal autistic kids so very relatable?  That oversensitivity, I get it.  It's not my sensory reality, but it's my emotional reality.  I get the prickle of electricity when I see a facial expression change in a specific way.  I get zapped in those moments of awkward silence that briefly crest in noisy conversations.  And sometimes when things get bigger than that I feel completely electrocuted.

And I've had a headache that feels like disappointment.

*

I called social services today.  A girl told me her father beats her.  He punches her with closed fists.  She crumples on the floor gasping for air and he kicks her while she chokes for breath.  She is a tiny, hundred pound girl.  By law I must call protective services when children tell me these things.  But my heart struggled with it.  Not because I have any doubt that she needs protection, but I am breaking her trust in telling someone what she told me.  And I greatly fear that the social workers will aggravate rather than alleviate an already terrible situation.  My distrust of social services comes from my negative experiences when trying to access help for my niece back when her mother was still alive.  (I called because I was concerned that my sister was passing out while smoking in bed, with J in the bed.  They told me they could do nothing until the danger was more immediate.  I sarcastically asked if that meant I could not call until the bed was actually on fire, and the social worker said - without a hint of humour - that yes, that was the appropriate time to call.)  I hope this girl is safe over the holidays.


*

It's the holidays now.  My show closed last night to a huge happy audience that laughed at everything.  Parents brought me homemade Christmas treats and said nice things to me.  The kids gave me flowers.  It was the way closing night is supposed to look and nearly never does.  It would be a good way to finish my career in theatre this way.  I am ready to move up into the counselling office, but I'd like to look back on these years as having finished strong.

And for some reason I have been showered with gifts this Christmas.  Not the case every year.  I'm not sure if I have more thoughtful kids this year, wealthier kids this year, or if, perhaps, I have just been more likeable this year.  But I have more chocolate and cookies and treats than I can believe.  I will be twenty pounds heavier by the end of the holidays.

Tonight I had homemade Nuts & Bolts, homemade chocolate toffees, and red wine for dinner.  Danger.


*

6 comments:

Nic said...

Autism is very interesting, isn't it? And some of the thoughts and words which emerge are quite wonderful. I remember B in my class thinking that there were planes in the sky, and they were very very small planes, and then there were the big ones on the ground.

And there was a magical acceptance which children are very capable of. They recognised he was different, but quite simply and gently appreciated him for his difference. Isn't it a shame that such things burn out with age?

I miss the curious gifts, sometimes.

I am so pleased you are back. I have missed you so much.

:-) P xxx

mischief said...

Hi you. I'm happy to see you here again. I've sent out invitations to a very small group of friends (six in total) rather than leaving things open to the world. I think I feel settled with that, after thinking about it awhile.

Autism really is fascinating. Sometimes I joke that I'm probably autistic because I find I think in odd ways too. But it's not really a joke because the spectrum is huge and maybe we all fall on it somewhere.

The literal way autistic kids tend to think really blows my mind. Like tiny planes in the sky.

A few years ago I had a student teacher in the theatre who was having the students (grade 8s) do an activity where they were making letters using their bodies to spell out words on the floor. An autistic boy was disengaged and wandering around the room looking lost, and the student teacher, not knowing his background, said, "Come here, M, and help me make a P on the floor." Well, you can imagine what his brain did with that. I had to leave the room so they wouldn't hear me laughing.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Autism is quite fascinating. One of my nephews has three autistic children, all beautiful but amazingly different.

You did what you had to do concerning your abused student, and hopefully the social workers won't make things even worse, if that can be imagined. She came to you for help and you got her help in the only way you could, legally. Such stories horrify me, but after managing a domestic violence shelter, they no longer surprise me although they are still shocking.

Congratulations on your fantastically successful show! I think it would be a loss if you didn't do that anymore, but with so many talents, it must be hard to choose your focus. Your Christmas presents sound like a diabetic coma waiting to happen, so go slowwwww.

Happy holidays and lots of wine.
xxx

mischief said...

Thanks Susan, and thanks for the advice about taking it slow with my Christmas snacks. Fortunately I share my world with two others who are more than happy to help me out by taking some of the sugar off my hands. This sort of makes me want to eat it faster so I get my share, but in any case, it won't last long. :) Hope your holiday is peaceful and restful. Good wishes, and warm hugs to you! xxxx

Jerry said...

I have a grandson that is autistic. He is now four and we are trying to understand what his niche is, assuming there is a primary interest within him. He seems ecstatically happy when he sees us, but seems to withdraw when we hug him. Those poses a dilemma. Is it good to reinforce the notion that affection is a good thing, or do we respect his cues and back off. In either case, he quickly retreats to lining up his toys precisely.

We are trying to learn.

mischief said...

There's so much to learn about autism, isn't there? And no formula that applies to every child. My opinion is that we do need to respect the cues with regard to how much touch is appropriate because we do know that autistic children perceive touch differently than non-autistic children. So if touch is physically painful or uncomfortable, is it fair to try and condition a child to accept it? I try to give my autisitic students a lot of room to set their own boundaries. Difficult, but very worthwhile getting to know them on their own terms.