Monday, December 26, 2011

Here comes the neighbourhood

Blegh, I drank too much last night.  It's very juvenile of me to drink too much as though I am still 22, but I find myself more comfortable chatting with the family (and the extended family) when I have had three glasses of wine.  We ended up walking home from the inlaws' place since neither of us was in any condition to drive.  J is away for the holidays with my parents this year, which has made it too easy to overindulge in her absense with no one for whom to set a good example.

My stuffing was good, my devilled eggs were good.  My gravy was weird.  That is, it tasted fine but it looked peculiar, an odd colour that I had not anticipated.  I was expecting the standard dark brown gravy, and mine was very light coloured, almost yellow.  It was mostly made of chicken stock which is why.  But what makes gravy normally look so much darker?  It really did look strange.

It was a nice visit with Shawn's family, and his crazy step-Auntie sat beside me and whispered rude comments about her sisters (who weren't there) and made racist remarks about Asians.  I had had enough wine to find this hilarious instead of infuriating, and was happy enough to laugh out loud at her instead of waiting until we home.  She seemed to take this as encouragement, so it all worked out fine.  When I told her I was partly Egyptian, she said, Oh that's why you have that hole in your nose.



*

Are you familiar with eBay?  If you hated shopping as much as I do, you would be.  I like eBay.  It means I can shop for things without having to go into malls, and I hate malls.  And rather like a friend who really gets you, sometimes eBay makes friendly suggestions based on, presumably, your past purchases or searches.  It's a well meaning friend, and sometimes it really has the right idea even though it doesn't totally understand that size does matter.  So it was with some consternation that I viewed eBay's most recent recommendation for me:



I can't fathom what made eBay think that this was the kind of thing I'd really go for.  Maybe eBay just has a sense of humour and wanted to make me laugh.


*

6 comments:

Nic said...

Oh, it is very beautiful. It reminds me of my shower body puff. It is nearly identical, in fact. Ooo. Imagine putting shower gel on that one. The lather.

Maybe ebay has seen the pink puffy you. All girls have that side. Apparently. I'm going to see what ebay recommends for me.

x P

mischief said...

Yes, that's it exactly, a shower puff. You're right, it would make an incredible lather. Maybe I should look for a giant bottle of shower gel to go with it. I hope eBay found you something equally wonderful. xx

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Kind of like a bird with dyed feathers. Or yes, a shower puff - perfect! I hate malls, too, and periodically play on eBay. Amazon is a great friend of mine, too.
I'm still puzzling over the hole in your nose, assuming Shawn's aunt didn't mean nostrils since presumably that would be plural. Do you have a piercing there? Or was she so crocked that she imagined a hole in your Egyptian nose? (Or would that be an Egyptian hole in your nose? Oh, it's all so confusing.)

mischief said...

Amazon in Canada is incredibly frustrating. It only sells books and movies, even though we can see all the wonderful things that Americans are able to buy. It's exasperating.

Yes, the hole in my hose that crazy Auntie M was referring to was my nose ring. Apparently she thinks it's an Egyptian thing. Who knows why...

Jerry said...

I'm glad that your food preparations was almost perfect. With that tattoo around your arm and, of course, the hole in your nose -- you look downright Nefertiti-ish.

We did every single bit of our Christmas shopping on Ebay or Amazon this year. (I say 'we' -- Marilyn 85% and me the remainder.) We shun malls -- just don't like the crowds and funny music and the hubbub.

mischief said...

Christmas shopping on eBay is a wonderful idea rather than braving the horror that is shopping malls. The problem, of course, is that you have to be organized enough to do the shopping with enough time to allow for shipping, and Canada Post is notoriously slow in December. I should start preparing for next year right about now.