Monday, October 21, 2019

hung parliament

I just reread something I wrote in 2013 about CM's first day of work.  I remember being struck by her sharpness; her sharp clothes, her sharp shoes, her sharp voice and sharp mind.  And I remember feeling soft in my comfortable faded jeans, soft cotton shirt, soft voiced, soft headed.

Six years later I have claimed some of my own sharpness.  If nothing else, I own some collars and some sharp looking shoes.  (I wear them when I am feeling particularly soft.)  But it doesn't come naturally or easily.  It comes from studying people like CM and trying to emulate what it looks like to be an adult, or to have one's own philosophy of life.  But perhaps in my case growing into my adulthood is about owning the fact that I am not a sharp woman.  I am not practical and clear-minded and determined.  I am more drifty than that.  I am someone who looks out the window a lot.  I am someone is happiest on Saturday mornings with nothing to do and no one to see, except puppies and  I am comfortable hanging out in my pajamas at 4:00 in the afternoon.

The union has given me permission to take two courses this year instead of the usual one, so I have signed up for one about managing clients' anger, and a second one on advanced mediation skills.  I hope to eventually acquire full accreditation for all these courses.   I seem to like collecting certifications that I don't use.)


*






No comments: