Monday, October 27, 2014

making ice

Mr. Sexual Harassment is in trouble again.  He's at his third complaint since school started in September and this doesn't count the sexual harassment complaint from last year.  To be fair, only one of the current complaints is about sexual harassment, and the other two are just about being a jerk.  I met with him today to mediate one of those discussions between him and the complainant.  He did not handle himself well.  He loudly munched a big, juicy apple during the meeting and rolled his eyes and implied that the complainant was childish for being offended by his behaviour.  My role is about helping and supporting all staff members, but I do not know how to support this man.  Something is wrong with him.  And what bothers me most is that I kind of find myself liking him and empathizing with him.  He rubs people the wrong way, truly, because he is socially inept.  But I do not think he truly means any harm.  Or maybe I am giving him too much credit.  I feel certain he is going to end up being disciplined in short order and I cannot protect him from that if he keeps making terrible choices.



*

1 comment:

Secret Agent Woman said...

I could feel sorry for someone who had no idea that his behavior caused offense. But now he knows and apparently chooses still to be an ass. Maybe being disciplined is necessary to make him re-think his behavior.